Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

Born Under a Million Shadows

Born Under a Million Shadows - Andrea Busfield When I bought this book I was expecting something like The Kite Runner and a Thousand Splendid Suns, I was a little put off by the title of the novel. This book is nothing like the Kite Runner and I found it really entertaining, informative and a very intersting insight into Afghan Coulture and how they view western coulture. This story is told through the eyes of a young boy Fawad. The operning two sentances of the book had me totally hooked

" My name is Fawad and my mother tells me I was born under the shadow of the Taliban. Because she said no more I imagined her stepping out of the sunshine and into the dark; crouching in a corner to protect the stomach that was hiding me, whilst a man with a stick watched over us, ready to beat me into the world" and this is the wit that runs throughout the book and yet there are many serious issues in the book.

I loved the characters in this book and found them engaging,this is a quick read and the story flows along.

The only couple of flaws I found with the book was that at times I felt for a boy of 11 Fawad's character is a little unconvincing.

I did enjoy the novel and while it is not a Thousand Splendid Suns or the Kite Runner, it is a great read and I enjoyed it, it is a book I would recommend to friends.