Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

The Miniaturist

The Miniaturist - Jessie Burton 3.5 stars.

Set in Amsterdam in the late 17th century the Miniaturist is an interesting story. We are drawn to a city of hidden opulence and religious repression.
Eighteen-year-old Nella Oortman enters a prosperous, but loveless marriage, with the merchant Johannes Brandt. When her husband presents her with a replica cabinet house Nella finds that she is living her life throughout the miniatures within the cabinet.

This is an intriguing story which I found very well written and quite dark. I had difficulty getting into the story and found the first 100 pages slow going but I was quite glad I struck with it as the second half of the book really worked for me.

I wasn't quite convinced about the sense of time and place from the novel and would have liked more of a feel for the Amsterdam of the time and yet I really enjoyed the story and its characters. I am not sure I understood all the happenings within the novel but perhaps that was just me.

An interesting and enjoyable read but not one for my favourite list.