Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

Ordinary Grace: A Novel

Ordinary Grace: A Novel - William Kent Krueger

Ordinary Grace, a novel by William Kent Krueger is a beautiful and engaging novel and it certainly worked its magic on me. This is a short novel and it certainly proves good goods comes in small parcels.

Set in New Bremen, Minnesota in 1961. It was a time of innocence a hope for a country with a new young president. But for a thirteen year old Frank Drum it was a grim summer in which death visited frequently and assumed many forms. Accident, nature, suicide and murder. Told from Franks perspective forty years after that fateful summer.

I have to be honest what drew me to this novel in the first place was the beautiful cover and having read the blurb I eager to get my hands on this book and was so happy when the hardback edition popped through my letterbox as this is a book I want on my bookshelf.

This is a very well written and eloquent novel and yet the story is told in a simple and quiet manner. I loved the writing as it is so vivid and felt myself totally engrossed in this short novel from page one. The character are so well fleshed out and yet the author respects the readers ability to imagine and wonder for themselves and I loved that about this novel. I really loved the sense of time and place and was totally drawn back to the 1960s.

I think this would make a great discussion book and a great summer read. I think readers who liked

[b: The Homecoming of Samuel Lake|7632310|The Homecoming of Samuel Lake|Jenny Wingfield|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320562108s/7632310.jpg|10138454] will enjoy this novel.

This was my favourite read of the year so far and for me a well deserved 5 stars.