Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

Beautiful Ruins: A Novel

Beautiful Ruins: A Novel - Jess Walter 3.5 Stars

This is the type of book that determines your next vacation.

Sometimes its not the plot that makes a book memorable but beautiful descriptions of a place and it's inhabitants that can charm and dazzle the reader.

A story of greed, treachery and romance set on a rocky patch of Italian coastline in 1962.

The stroy is told in chapters that go back and forth in time and I was lucky enough to have been given a copy of this as a kris Kringle bookclub gift and I had it on audible as well. The switching between timeframes was pretty confusing at times and the vast amount of quirky characters make this book a little difficult to follow. But I did love the writing and the amazing sense of time and place. A lovely story with vivid characters and beautiful images of romantic Italian Coastlines that made this book come alive.

I loved the character of Pasquale and the chapters set in Italy were the hightlight of Beautiful Ruins for me.

While I always perfer to read a book the narration by Edoardo Ballerini was excellent and I really enjoyed swithing back and forth between my hardcopy and audible.