Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

Seduction: A Novel of Suspense

Seduction: A Novel of Suspense - M. J. Rose Seduction by M J Rose is certainly a novel of suspense. The story is set in the past and the present and is a story of reincarnation and mythology. This is out of my normal comfort zone and after seeing the beautiful cover of this book I was intrigued. I am happy to say I continued to be intrigued as I turned the pages of this Novel. I believe this is a sequel to The book of Lost Fragrances which I have not read but I didnt feel at a disadvantage having not read it and was able to establish a connection to this story quite quickly.

In 1843, novelist Victor Hugo's beloved nineteen-year-old daughter drowned. Ten years later, still grieving, Hugo initiated hundreds of séances from his home on the Isle of Jersey in order to re-establish contact with her. In the process, he claimed to have communed with Plato, Galileo, Shakespeare, Dante, Jesus—and even the Devil himself. Hugo's transcriptions of these conversations have all been published. The story is set around these facts but with other story lines fictional characters and present day events the book makes a terrific suspense novel.

Seduction is a beautifully haunting and atmospheric tale of love, loss pain and secrets. There is at the heart of this book a gothic tale/ghost story and at times it kind of gave me the “Heebie-jeebies” but in a good way.

This is a highly descriptive and a very well written novel and I certainly was pulled back in 19th Century as I got a great sense of time and place from this novel.

I especially enjoyed the Victor Hugo connection in this story and found myself goggling The Isle of Jersey and Victor Hugo to find out what is real and what is fiction, but having finished the novel MJ Rose includes a chapter detailing what is fact and what is fiction which I really appreciated.

This was an ARC from Atria Books and Net Galley and I really enjoyed this suspenseful tale.