Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox

The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox - Maggie O'Farrell The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox is a beautifully written and haunting story about a woman who has been unjustly incarcerated in a mental hospital at a very young age and has remained there for over sixty years. The hospital is now closing down and the inhabitants have to be rehoused. The story is set between the 1930s and the present day.

The story is intelligently told and the plot is really well-thought out so there were enough twists and turns to keep me engrossed and intrigued. The way Maggie O Farrell writes is just exquisite, so beautifully descriptive that I was carried away and felt totally drawn into the story and life of Esme Lennox. The character development is perfect and sometimes in a book you come across a character that you completely fall in love with and I fell in love with the character of Esme.

This is a short novel but the author does not waste a single word, she really is able to convey so many emotions in each chapter.

I love haunting and intriguing novels and The vanishing Acts of Esme Lennox was exactly what I love.

I did find myself having to re-read certain paragraphs in this book especially the narrative of Kitty as this is one of those books the you need to pay attention while reading or you may get a little lost.

Re-read this book for a book club read and I enjoyed this book all over again, I really enjoyed the characters of Esme and Kittly and loved the parallels drawn between Iris and Esme's life. Look forward to the discussion on this one.