Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

Pirate Hunters: Treasure, Obsession, and the Search for a Legendary Pirate Ship

Pirate Hunters: Treasure, Obsession, and the Search for a Legendary Pirate Ship - Robert Kurson I stumbled on this book while I was trying to find a book on the Amber Room (The Amber Room is a world-famous chamber decorated in amber panels backed with gold leaf and mirrors, located in the Catherine Palace of Tsarskoye Selo near Saint Petersburg Originally constructed in the 18th century in Prussia, the Amber Room disappeared during World War II and was recreated in 2003. Before the room was lost, it was considered an "Eighth Wonder of the World"),

I didn't have any expectations before reading [b:Pirate Hunters: Treasure, Obsession, and the Search for a Legendary Pirate Ship|23164968|Pirate Hunters Treasure, Obsession, and the Search for a Legendary Pirate Ship|Robert Kurson|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1432123218s/23164968.jpg|42710965]but a goodread's friend Diane S had given it a 4 star rating so thought it was worth downloading on audio and giving it a try.

The book revolves around John Chatterton and John Mattera treasure hunters seeking the whereabouts of the Golden Fleece a pirate ship which was captained and stolen by Joseph Bannister back in the day of piracy. Not only do we learn a lot about the lives of pirates but we also we learn a lot about the lives of these two men and I found the background information quite fascinating. I loved the history of the pirate Joseph Bannister and his life as a Captain. I was amazed on numerous occasions throughout this book at the costs, time and technology involved in locating pirate ships.

I listened to this on audio and the narrator was excellent but I can't help wondering if I have missed out on a paperback edition as I assume there would be photos and maps which would really enhance the reading experience. Having said that I had a 5 hour trip at the weekend and this book was such good company. Not my usual read but so glad I stumbled across it as I was pleasantly surprised and educated by the books conclusion. Now back to my search for a book on the Amber Room and you never know what I will stumble on next...........