Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

The Girls: A Novel

The Girls: A Novel - Emma Cline Oh! I do like the weird and strange books every now and then!

I had read that the Girls was likened to [b:The Virgin Suicides|10956|The Virgin Suicides|Jeffrey Eugenides|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1319032910s/10956.jpg|812415] which is a novel I really enjoyed and I was eager to read this book and I wasn't disappointed as I really enjoyed this weird and well written story.

Set in Northern California towards the end of the 60s , The Girls tells the story of a teenager Evie Boyd and a group of girls she befriends at the start of her summer holidays. The girls belong to a cult and Evie the product of divorced parents envies their freedom and their dangerous aura of abandon. She spends her days and nights at the Ranch and becomes infatuated with one of the cult members.

A debut novel and extremely well crafted coming of age story, the teenage character of Evie is extremely well drawn, attention seeking teenager searching for her identity and pushing boundaries finds herself becoming immersed in cult life and begins a downward spiral. The story is slow, its not a drama filled novel and yet there something compelling and spellbinding about the story that keeps you turning the pages.

I was not very familiar with the cult scene of 60s America and have read very little books about this time but I had heard about the Manson Murders and this book appears to be loosely based on these horrible killings. I think this book is going to be a very popular summer read as its different,a little weird(like the [b:The Virgin Suicides|10956|The Virgin Suicides|Jeffrey Eugenides|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1319032910s/10956.jpg|812415]) and a compelling read. A book that tells a story about cults in the 60s to a generation that will not be familiar with this scene. I will definitely be recommending this one to many of my friends.

My thanks to NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.