Dem

The Good Daughter
Karin Slaughter
A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman
Behind Her Eyes: A Novel
Sarah Pinborough

All for Nothing

All for Nothing - Walter Kempowski, Anthea Bell A disappointing read !

I was drawn to this this Novel firstly by the beautiful cover and secondly by the book's description on the inside cover.

While away shopping at Christmas I spent quite a long time in a beautiful bookshop (which was a rare threat for me as I don't have a good book shop locally anymore) and decided to stock up on a few books. I found my self picking up books and then going to goodreads on my phone to see what rating they had got or what my friends had throught of them and after about 15 minutes of this I decided I would just judge the book by the cover and the blurb as I would have done years ago and see what happens.

"From one of Germany's greatest post-war writers, a powerfully atmospheric novel about the delusions and indecision of a welthy East Prussian family in the last days of the Thrid Reich"

I love novels set in or around this time period but unfortunatly this one fell flat for me and didn't live up to its's beautiful and athmospheric cover.
I did like the characters in the novel to start out with but never felt they reached their full potential within the story and I finished the book having felt no real emotion for any of them. I think the big let down for me was the lack of a sense of time or place which should have been very easy to protay in a novel like this. This book was first published in German and was translated into English and I cant help feel that perhaps the story may have got a little lost in translation.

A short read at 343 pages and a pretty hard back copy to add to my bookshelf but not one I will be recommending to my friends.
Heres hoping my other choices will fair out better :-)