Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

The Ocean at the End of the Lane: A Novel

The Ocean at the End of the Lane: A Novel - Neil Gaiman, Neil Gaiman The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman was a book that I had been advised to read by a friend who assured me that this was the fairy tale of the year and that as fantasy books go this was one of the best. As my friend purchased this little book for me I thought the least I could do was read it with and open mind.

When I started reading this short novel I felt I was reading a children's book with a few adult scenes thrown in but I never felt the writing was geared towards an adult audience and therefore I kept questioning the plot and the characters. I thought there was very little character development and for that reason the book read like a short story for me. I was really expecting to be drawn into an imaginative fairy tale world but was neither impressed or enchanted by the story.

Fantasy is not my cup of tea and while I do enjoy the odd fairy tale I was defiantly stepping outside my comfort zone on this one.

But I do appreciate that lovers of fantasy and magic realism will appreciate and love this book and will get much more out of the story than I did and therefore as it has numerous great reviews on Goodreads I suggest reading other member's reviews as my opinion is in the minority on this one.

An ok read but noting special for me.