Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

The Light Between Oceans

The Light Between Oceans - M L Stedman The light between Oceans by M.L. Stedman is a beautifully written and emotional story which I enjoyed very much. A back to basics Novel with a good plot.

This story is about right and wrong and how sometimes they look the same.

Tom Sherbourne who released from the horrors of First world War is now a lighthouse Keeper cocooned on a remote Australian island with his young wife Izzy, who is content in everything but her failure to have a child.
One April morning a boat washes ashore carrying a dead man and a crying baby. Safe from the real world Tom and Izzy break the rules and follow their hearts.

This is also the story about the choices we make and how we live or try to live with them.

The first thing that drew me to this novel was the beautiful cover and I am happy to report that this book has more to it than just a pretty picture.
This is really a plot driven novel and the author really just gets on with telling her story and does not bog the book down with too many unnecessary adjectives which was refreshing, in other words a good story simply told.
I enjoyed the characters (especially Tom) and felt myself torn in the choices they had to make.

One of my favourite passages reads.

"You could kill a bloke with rules, Tom knew that and yet sometimes they were what stood between man and savagery, between man and monsters".

I particularly like the ending of this novel and probably would have given the book a 3.5 but the ending bumped it up to a 4 star read.

This would make a great holiday read as its is pure escasism and while I normally love historicall novels rich in facts and information I loved this book just for its story.