Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman
Behind Her Eyes: A Novel
Sarah Pinborough

Loveland

Loveland - Graham Norton <3.5 Stars</b>

Holding by Graham Norton is an easy and pleasurable read, better than I was expecting but not not going to make my year's favourite list

Holding is Norton's debut novel and is set in a small town of Dunedin in County Cork where life goes by and little happens out of the ordinary until a building site unearths human remains and the life's of the inhabitants of Dunedin become filled with suspicions and wonder and the secrets that were buried with the bodies slowly begin to reveal.
The book had several characters and each is affected in the discovery of the remains and we are introducted to them slowly, I liked the characterisation and the plot as both are well imagined and interesting. The book is well paced and while I had thought the novel was going to be funny and typical of Norton quick wit the book is quite serious in places and not what I had expected.

I did however have issues with the sense of time and places in the novel and felt that the modern part of the novel didn't in fact reflect a modern Ireland and this bugged me a little while reading the novel but it didn't take a way from the overall enjoyment of the book.
I was a little afraid that I wound not be able to separate the author from the television personality and that his TV persona would be all over this novel but have to admit that he wrote a novel that was so different from what I had perceived.
An easy and pleasurable read and I look forward to more books from this author.