Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

City of Thieves: A Novel

City of Thieves: A Novel - David Benioff Having read and loved Child 44this book was recommended to me by a friend and he was spot on in his recommendation as I loved this Novel.

The siege of Leningrad lasted from August 1941 to January 1944 and resulted in an unknown death toll which included around one million citizens.

This is the story of Lev Beniov, who was jailed for looting the body of a dead Nazi paratrooper who landed in the city. He is sent to Jail where he meets with a young and confident soldier called Kolya who is jailed as he has been found guilty of desecration. The two young men are then given an impossible and brilliant task - to acquire a dozen eggs for the wedding cake of the daughter of an NKVD officer who has confiscated the duo's ration cards.

This book is a real page turner and there were times in the book when I thought I can’t read any more as it is really difficult reading in places and then Benioff would introduce a bit of humour and you continue to read until he shocks you again and believe me he really knows when and how to shock the reader.

I loved the characters in this novel they are so well written and you really care about them as they novel progresses.

Benioff really brings this book alive as you can feel the hunger, the cold and the pain of the citizens of Leningrad , there were times I even felt I was knee deep in that snow! and that is what makes this book a 4 star read.

This is a real page turner and a 4 star read.
nr