Dem

The Good Daughter
Karin Slaughter
A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman
Behind Her Eyes: A Novel
Sarah Pinborough

The Unseeing

The Unseeing - Anna Mazzola A gripping Murder Mystery wonderfully vivid, dark and disturbing and based on true events.
image:
This is one of those novels that had me reading way past my bed time and sneaking off for a half hour read when I should have been doing other things but I just couldn't put this stunning debut novel down as it is extremely well written and relates a wonderful sense of time and place.

Based on actual events in 1837 Sarah Gale a Seamstress has been sentenced to hang for her role in the murder of Hannah Brown on the eve of her wedding. Much of the Novel is set in Newgate which was was one of the most notorious prisons in England and the author really convinces the reader of the hell the prisoners endured during their time there. The murder of Hannah Brown caused a sensation at the time and Anna Mazzola creates a wonderful and convincing historical fiction story around the events of the time. Great characters and plot make this such a compelling read and I she had me captivated with her wonderful storytelling.

The author includes an Histroical Note at the end of her novel where she explains that The Unseeing is a work of fiction, based on fact. All of the newspaper extracts used in the Unseeing are real, as are many of the details of the crime itself and the subsequent investigation and trial. She also explained that she has twisted the truth in order to make a better story and this worked extremely well in the story.

I was amazed to learn that this was Mazzola debut novel and look forward to further books by this author. A gripping murder story that many readers of historical fiction will really enjoy.