Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

Lions

Lions - Bonnie Nadzam 2.5 Stars
I seriously struggled with this one to the point of no return.
I know this is not going to be a popular rating but I will try to explain my reasons for such a low rating of a book that is loved by so many of my wonderful Good Read friends.

Lions is set on the high plains of Colorado, a nearly deserted place, steeped in local legends and sparse in population.When a traveling stranger appears one day, his unsettling presence sets off a chain reaction that will change the fates of everyone he encounters and accelerate the deterioration of Lions.

If I was rating this book on the prose and writing skill of the author I could certainly rate this as a 4 star read. The author paints wonderful images of people and places and there are some beautiful constructed sentences, but it was the plot that just didn't work for me. I never felt I understood the characters or even what was going on half the time and I found myself replaying many scenes to try to figure out what exactly was happening. I also struggled with identifying the timeline of the novel.
I was awaiting something that never happened and was left feeling disappointed on finishing the Novel.

I listened to this one on audible and the tone and pace of the narrator really didn't work for me , while the book is slow and haunting I just found the narration dreary and depressing and I dreaded listening to this before bedtime. I really do think if I have read this in hard copy I may have appreciated it more.

I agree with readers that the writing and prose is beautiful but I just couldn't connect with the story and therefore the reason for my rating.