Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

All the Ugly and Wonderful Things: A Novel

All the Ugly and Wonderful Things: A Novel - Bryn Greenwood DNF..............For me this was a case of Know when to hold'em and know when to fold'em

I am certainly not singing with the choir on this one but I have to say how the book affected me regardless.

The Description on NetGalley begins with the following" A beautiful and provocative love story between two unlikely people and the hard-won relationship that elevates them above the Midwestern meth lab backdrop of their lives.
Personally I didn't find the relationship between a thirteen year old child and a man as provocative or beautiful, I just felt really uncomfortable the further along the book I read until I came to a point which I thought, Ok this is getting downright ugly and disturbing and I need to dump this one as I felt I was entering into territory that I certainly do not enjoy reading.
I feel this is going to be the controversial summer read and there will be many opinions along the way of which mine will just be one.

Yep! the writing is good, the characters are well formed but this story just doesn't work for me and no amount of good writing or well formed characters will encourage me to read any further. It took me 7 days to get to 50% in the Novel and I realized I actually hated picking up the book.

I need to point out that I am in the minority with my negative review on this book and urge readers to please read many of the other marvellous 5 and 4 star reviews before making a decision whether to read this book or not as my option is only my reaction to the story and people react differently to storylines and subjects.

My Thanks to Netgalley for the opportunity to review this copy in return for an honest opinion.