Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

Bellman & Black

Bellman & Black - Diane Setterfield 2.5 stars

Bellman and Black is the long awaited novel from Diane Setterfield and like others I could not wait to get my hands on this gothic story.

I love the title of this novel and the cover as it gives a mysterious quality to the book before the reader even begins the story.

As a child William Bellman while out playing with his friends commits one small cruel act killing a bird with his slingshot. Little does he know that this action will bring on consequences in his adult life that he will have little control over or will he?
William grows up and through hard work makes a fortune and becomes someone with power but when rock bottom hits in his personal life he enters into a rather strange bargain, with an even stranger partner
and Bellman & Black is born.

The story is interesting and the characters of Bellman and Black hold the reader's fascination throughout the story. However the plot is thin and the story has very little other interesting characters and I found myself wishing there was a strong or even an interesting female character in the story. There are female characters but they are not well fleshed out. The story is dark and a little eerie but not enough to scare or make this book memorable.

I found it difficult to place this story in a time frame as there is very little reference to dates or actual happenings and I found myself constantly trying to tie the story to a year. I like background information in a story as I really think it enhances the plot although I am sure the author has her reasons for the way this story is told.

Having loved Setterfield's [bc:The Thirteenth Tale|40440|The Thirteenth Tale|Diane Setterfield|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1346267826s/40440.jpg|849453] I was expecting a story as intriguing that would leave me with the same satisfied feeling on finishing the novel but I am afraid this was not the case with this book.

An ok read and easy read but not riveting for me.

My thanks to Netgalley for giving me the opportunity to read an advance copy of this book.