Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

Our Souls at Night: A novel

Our Souls at Night: A novel - Kent Haruf A little Gem of a Novel with simple sparse language that tells the story of aging and of second chances and our need to connect

I really enjoyed this beautiful simple novel and I tend to applaud writers who can manage to tell a story so convincingly is so few pages.

Beautiful simple writing and yet so much food for thought, every day life and ageing are so relevant for all of us and how we cope with life after our children leave home or the death of a spouse. I really did sit back and think as right now my life is busy with work, teenagers and everyday activities and it buzzes along from day to day but what about when it all moves on and life throws curves and loneliness set in. This book made me think of my parents and their lives after their families left home. It made me think of how we long for companionship if only to reminisce.

There is a beautiful song by Alan Jackson called " Remember When" which I play on a regular basis in the car as it has a way of making enjoy the moment.

This is a very uplifting book and Kent Huruf doesn't waste a word unnecessarily. No flowery prose here just good writing and a good story. What a great reminder that everyone has a right to happiness no matter what age and companionship is so important in later years regardless of what family or neighbours think and to take a step back when making judgements.

Do not go gentle into that good night but rage, rage against the dying of the light.
" Dylan Thomas"