Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

What Lies Between Us: A Novel

What Lies Between Us: A Novel - Nayomi Munaweera 3.5 Stars

I enjoyed this atmospheric and emotional novel by Nayomi Munaweera. This is a new author for me and I am glad I picked this one up to read.

The novel opens with a prologue in the form of a parable. It is the story of a Himalayan moon bear that is driven to kill her cub in a most gruesome way. It is a short and absolutely shocking tale but what an opening for this novel. At first I questioned the reason for this shocking opening but the author does explain , “it tells us everything we need to know about the nature of love between a mother and a child.” and I knew I just had to continue reading this book.

The novel's rich and vivid prose tells the life story of its narrator from her Sri Lankan girlhood to her adult life in America. I really enjoyed the descriptions of the culture and traditions of Sri lanka and how upon moving to America their lives are affected and influenced by the people around them.
The story is at times brutal and yet I never found it graphic.

An emotional read about how our pasts can influence out futures