Dem

The Good Daughter
Karin Slaughter
A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman
Behind Her Eyes: A Novel
Sarah Pinborough

The Russian Court at Sea: The Voyage of HMS Marlborough

The Russian Court at Sea: The Voyage of HMS Marlborough - Frances Welch 2 5 stars
The Russian Court at Sea is an account of the Romanovs voyage into excile. The book is a short read at under 250 pages but the writing is clumsy and historical content was incomplete.

April 1919 just under a year after the assassination of the Romanovs the British Battleship HMS Marlborough sails from Yalta and on board are 17 members of the Russian Royal Family who are escaping Russia and hoping to start life afresh.

I found this little book while browsing the Russian section of a large bookshop and was immediately drawn firstly by the cover and secondly and more importantly by the blurb of this book. I always want to know . What happened afterwards......

The book opens with a map of the voyage from Yalta to Malta and a list of the passengers on board the ship which was helpful. However the author missed out on an opportunity to inform the reader how some of the Royal family ended up in the Crimea and a few pages of introduction on what took place previously would have been helpful especially for readers who may have little knowledge on this period of history or even for readers who may need refreshing.
I actually felt like I was reading part 2 Of a story and had missed out on Part 1 and the lead up to the voyage. Having read quite a bit on this period in Russian Histroy I was familiar with the Family histroy in the Crimea but if you were coming into this book without having any knowledge you would be totally lost reading this account.

The book was wasn't a total waste of time and while I would have difficulty recommending I did manage to find some interesting facts in it.