Dem

The Good Daughter
Karin Slaughter
A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman
Behind Her Eyes: A Novel
Sarah Pinborough

A Mother's Reckoning: Living in the Aftermath of Tragedy

A Mother's Reckoning: Living in the Aftermath of Tragedy - Sue Klebold I think now more than ever in a time when the Internet and Social Media has become such a huge part of teenagers and children's every day life and parents struggle to know exactly what their kids are browsing or becoming sucked into, this book raises important alarms or even important discussions which as parents we need to be having.

I had recently read [bc:Columbine|5632446|Columbine|Dave Cullen|http://images.gr-assets.com/books/1442939134s/5632446.jpg|5803859] and when a goodreads member reviewed [bc:A Mother's Reckoning: Living in the Aftermath of Tragedy|25937671|A Mother's Reckoning Living in the Aftermath of Tragedy|Sue Klebold|http://images.gr-assets.com/books/1453261078s/25937671.jpg|45835034] by Sue Klebold I really wanted to read it to try and understand why a teenager could commit such horrific crimes.

This book is written 16 years after the horrific massacre and the writer is Sue Klebold, the mother of of Dylan Klebold who walked into Columbine High School in Littleton Colorado along with his friend Eric Harris and killed 12 of their fellow students and a teacher and wounded twenty four others before taking their own lifes. The book focuses on the aftermath of the tragedy and how the family tried to come to terms and understand what had happened to turn their son into a murderer and how they struggled on a daily basis with the stress and grief.

The book is superbly written and you cant help feeling this mother's pain as she struggles to understand why her son who is precious to her and her family could do something so horrific and as a mother of a teenage son it just doesn't bear thinking about and to be honest I found the book at times quite difficult reading and yet Sue Klebold tells her story so well, never seeking pity and always trying to convey how regular a family they were and what signs she thinks she missed that Dylan was troubled. This is her story and I thought she did an excellent job in telling it.
How do you go on after this has happened to your family, the shame, the guilt the anger the sadness, the hurt and the huge sense of responsibility is overwhelming on every level but I think the book while helping her as a mother come to some sort of understanding may well be a valuable tool in helping other parents who are struggling with teenagers and need to understand the signs of when intervention or help is needed.

I listened to this book on audio and Sue Klebold is the narrator and I thought she did a wonderful job on the audio as well as the book.