Dem

The Good Daughter
Karin Slaughter
A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman
Behind Her Eyes: A Novel
Sarah Pinborough

The Bedford Boys: One American Town's Ultimate D-day Sacrifice

The Bedford Boys: One American Town's Ultimate D-day Sacrifice - Alex Kershaw 3.5 Stars

Some months ago my 16 year old son asked me Mum if there was another War and Ireland had to contribute troops would I be drafted ? The hairs stood on the back of my neck as this was something I had never ever thought about as Ireland had been neutral in the past wars and while thousands of young Irish men volunteered to fight the Germans alongside the British in World War II conscription was not a factor. I dread the empty nest syndrome when College comes into play But what must a parent feel when a Child is drafted in Wartime to fight...........for me it just doesn't bear thinking about and when I saw this book I felt I needed to read it as this small town had lost so many to War

June 6, 1944: Nineteen boys from Bedford, Virginia--population just 3,000 in 1944--died in the first bloody minutes of D-Day. They were part of Company A of the 116th Regiment of the 29th Division, and the first wave of American soldiers to hit the beaches in Normandy. Later in the campaign, three more boys from this small Virginia town died of gunshot wounds. Twenty-two sons of Bedford lost--it is a story one cannot easily forget and one that the families of Bedford will never forget.

The book is well written and the war scenes well depicted and gut wrenching but the author focuses more on the human element of the story with so many interviews from family members and surviving soldiers and letters home from men that would never return. So many young men died instantly on D. Day and as one of the Interviewees stated the heroes were not only the ones who died but also the ones who came home and lived with these images for the rest of their lives.

A worthwhile and engaging read that focuses on the sacrifices made by these men and their families and a book that will stay with me.