Dem

The Good Daughter
Karin Slaughter
A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman
Behind Her Eyes: A Novel
Sarah Pinborough

My Name Is Lucy Barton: A Novel

My Name Is Lucy Barton: A Novel - Elizabeth Strout An interesting insight into a mother and daughter's complicated relationship and what at first appears as a simple enough story turns out to have quite a lot going on that I feel would be best read and discussed as a bookclub read to get the best out of it.

It's a short book and while I liked it and took my time to digest it's simple prose and complex characters, I didn't feel any emotion or connection with the story or the characters which was disappointing for me. I kept feeling that I needed to read this with a view to discussing it in a group and instead of reading it for its enjoyment and story I was constantly trying to fill in the blanks in the plot as this is the type of novel where little is said but a lot is implied and therefore I didn't feel I connected with this book. I did read the discussion questions online Just to satisfy my curiosity.

Having said that, if it came up for reading in my book group I would happily revisit it as feel it would making an interesting discussion book. An interesting read but not one for my favourite shelf.