Dem

The Good Daughter
Karin Slaughter
A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman
Behind Her Eyes: A Novel
Sarah Pinborough

The American Girl

The American Girl - Rachael English What a wonderful read Rachel English's American Girl was, Fresh, entertaining, witty, rich characters and just an all round good story that will have you turning the pages to find out more

I picked this up after hearing the author interviewed and was immediately drawn to the premise of this story. Boston 1968 Rose Moloney is seventeen, smart, spirited and pregnant. She is shipped off to a baby home in Ireland against her will. 2013 Martha Sheeran's is struggling to come to terms that her marriage is over and is urged by her daughter to look for her mother who gave her up for adoption over 40 years ago.

I really enjoyed this page turner, with its wonderful sense of time and place and for me a terrific reminder of all things 80s. I enjoyed the writing and the sensitive way Rose's story was handled and yet I had so many laugh out loud moments in this book as the writer has a wicked way with words that comes across so natural in her writing without been Cheesy or twee.

Loved the characters, and the small Irish town setting and having a teenager myself I felt the character of Evanne was so well protrayed as in fact were all the characters as they felt real and full of life and I could identify with them which made the book so enjoyable.

Martha watched her crouch to get a better shot of the slate-coloured church . It was funny, she thought, how small a part religion played in the lives of Evanne and her friends . For them the catholic church was a source of indifference. Like thatched cottages, slow sets at the disco and black and white TV, it belonged to to the past.

A terrific summer read, and one I will be recommending to friends to pact for holidays as its a really entertaining and a well written novel.

I think readers who enjoy [a:Diane Chamberlain|93345|Diane Chamberlain|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1366490290p2/93345.jpg] , [a:Heather Gudenkauf|2875124|Heather Gudenkauf|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1494019846p2/2875124.jpg]. or [a:Maeve Binchy|3532|Maeve Binchy|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1206566579p2/3532.jpg] might also enjoy this novel.