Dem

The Good Daughter
Karin Slaughter
A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman
Behind Her Eyes: A Novel
Sarah Pinborough

Dead House

Dead House - Billy O'Callaghan Dead House by Billy O' Callaghan caught my eye while browsing a bookstore lately as the cover and artwork is stunning and I am a sucker for a good Irish ghost story.
image: image

I did enjoy the novel and O'Callaghan certainly knows how to create a magical sense of time and place. His descriptive writing of Irish landscape and climate is beautiful and real and this was one of the strongest elements of this short novel.

I didn't however connect with any of the characters or was I able to conjure up an image of them as I read the story and this was disappointing. The story was chilling and I loved how little bits of Irish history shined through as the harshness of the famime is brutally described. I really liked the ending as the author left a lot to the readers imagination which is what a good ghost story is all about.

A short novel with lyrical and descriptive prose and I look forward to future works by this author.