Rebecca Morris, Gregg Olsen
The Good Daughter
Karin Slaughter
A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman
Behind Her Eyes: A Novel
Sarah Pinborough

The Tears of My Soul: The True Story of a North Korean Spy

The Tears of My Soul: The True Story of a North Korean Spy - Kim Hyun Hee A terrific insight into North Korea and its harsh regime and how a dictator can brainwash a whole society from birth to death. A very short and concise book and yet it delivers on all counts.
I had a difficult job sourcing a copy of this book to read as it is very expensive book on all the regular sites but was lucky to get the loan of a copy as this was such a worthwhile read.

There is a free copy of this book online on www.scribd.com For anyone interested.

The Tears of My Soul is the memoir of Kim Hyun Hui, a North Korean female agent convicted for planting the bomb on board Korean Air Flight 858 in November of 1987 and the consequently the deaths of 115 people. In this book Hyun Hee reveals how she was recruited and trained, and provides details of the bombing. Her depiction of North Korea's Orwellian society is convincing and vivid, it depicts the brainwashing of a society and the Poverty and destitute the majority of citizens live in.

This is my third book on North Korea and I found this account a damning expose of the North Korean regime. It traces her intensive training and indoctrinate at various secret North Korean facilities, the bombing of a South Korean airliner, her arrest and trial. One of the most interesting aspects of this book is Hyun Hee 's introduction and education of western society and how she has to relearn history and facts about the world as the version she was taught was for the most part fraracated and distorted.

I did learn since reading the book that the proceeds of the book was going to the victims families which I found quite a little unsettling as I am sure no amount of proceeds from a book will help these families understand or come to terms with the deaths of their loved ones and while the book is important reading in understanding a brain washed society I am sure this book was very traumatic for relatives of the victims.

An interesting and insightful read and a book that gives insight in a country that is for the most part closed off to the rest of the world.