Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

Cannery Row

Cannery Row - John Steinbeck Cannery Row is my 5th novel by John Steinbeck and while I enjoyed the read it isn't a standout novel for me like [b:East of Eden|4406|East of Eden|John Steinbeck|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1544744853s/4406.jpg|2574991] or [b:Of Mice and Men|890|Of Mice and Men|John Steinbeck|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1511302904s/890.jpg|40283] and I think this is down to the way in which the book is written as it lacks a plot and reads more like a character study as we get a snapshot of the characters daily lives on Cannery Row.

I really liked the setting of the novel. Published in 1945 it is set during the Great Depression in Monterey California on a street lined with Sardine Canneries known as Cannery Row. We meet a host of interesting and entertaining characters who happen to live there and there is no definite plot to the novel, just every day life happenings for these entertaining characters and unlike some of Steinbeck’s other novels it is not a depressing read and the characters do bring a smile to your face and I really enjoyed hanging out with them.

Not one for my favourites shelf but an easy and enjoyable read and a book that I am glad to have picked up and crossed off my TBR list. I listened to this one on audio and enjoyed the experience.