Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

Island of the Lost: Shipwrecked at the Edge of the World

Island of the Lost: Shipwrecked at the Edge of the World - Joan Druett I love non fiction survival stories and [b:Island of the Lost: Shipwrecked at the Edge of the World|655570|Island of the Lost Shipwrecked at the Edge of the World|Joan Druett|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1404580151s/655570.jpg|641668]really floated my boat(pardon the pun).

Auckland Island is a godforsaken place in the middle of the Southern Ocean, 285 miles south of New Zealand. It's climate is extreme and harsh with year round freezing rain and howling winds so when in 1864 Captian Thomas Musgrave and his crew of four aboard the schooner Grafton wreck on the southern end of the Island they are faced with uncertain death if they don't put theirs leadership skills and suvivor knowledge into practice their fates may be short lived.

This is a really interesting and well written story. Using the survivors journals and historical records the author brings this amazing story to life and shows with leadership and order what can be accomplished.

The story follows two different shipwrecks at different ends of Auckland Island at the same time and while neighter knew about the other party their stories differ in many ways and make for terrific reading. This is a very detailed and descriptive story and the author clealy has done amazing research.

I loved learning about the seals and seal life on the island but not so much about the killing of the seals even thought I know it was about survival it did make for quite difficult reading and some readers may find this very difficult to read and it crops up quite often throughout the story.

I listened to this one on audible and the narrator was excellent. I did spent quite a bit of time researching and look up maps and photos on line. I am not sure if the hard copy included maps or photos of the Island.

A great detailed and informative adventure story that was entertaining and educational.