Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

The Secret Holocaust Diaries: The Untold Story of Nonna Bannister

The Secret Holocaust Diaries: The Untold Story of Nonna Bannister - Nonna Bannister, Carolyn Tomlin, Denise George An inspiring and tender story of a holocaust survivor heartbreaking and yet heartwarming with lovely insights into a russian childhood traditions and memories that make this books a memorable read.

I really enjoyed this story of Nonna Bannister a Russian Orthodox girl born to wealthy parents who fled Russia as WWII was starting.
She gives a a wonderful insight into her early childhood growling up in Russia , christmas time, horse drawn sleighs, and life in her grandmother's beautiful confortable home. Of course Nonna's account and memories also recounts the sad times and the hardships encountered in her time in forced labor along with her mother.

One has to keep in mind while reading that this book was compiled from diary entries that Nonna wrote when she was a young girl. she kept these diaries a secret from her husband and family until her golden years when she felt able to share them with her husband and so only after her death did the diary enteries form the basis for this book which her family felt needed to be published so they could be shared and read by the public.

I listened to this one on audio and while the narrator was very good i can help wishing I had a hard copy for my library and also because I believe the hard copy may contain photos.

No matter how many accounts I read on the Holocaust I am always shocked and saddened by the crimes against humanity. And while this account is heartbreaking in places Nonna's reminiscences of her happy childhood are beautifully recounted and make vivid and enjoyable reading.