Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

The Ruin

The Ruin - Dervla McTiernan Refreshing and Back to basics well constructed crime novel that is believable and entertaining. A cracking good read for those who enjoy crime / mystery novels.

The Ruin is a debut novel by Dervla McTiernan and what a complex and fast paced novel set in Galway. I rarely read crime novels but every now and then like to test the waters and I couldn't resist picking up a copy of the Ruin and so glad I did as it has an interesting and believable plot, great characters and plenty of twists and turns to keep the reader interested.

Set in Ireland the author captures a wonderful sense of time and place and she doesn't shy away from the dark and disturbing. A book of lies and secrets and the man of the moment is Detective Cormac Reilly who is drawn back to a case he has worked on in his earlier career when he discovered the dead body of Hilario Blake in her crumbling Georgian home and the two children she left behind still haunts his memory.

I think readers who enjoy Police procedure novels or crime novels are going to really enjoy this one as it's well written and full of suspense and I for one look forward to the next installment of the Cormac Reilly Series.